Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Indonesian police kill terror suspect in shootout

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia — Indonesian police killed a suspected terrorist wanted for the "mutilations" of students and arrested four others during two raids in Aceh province on Monday, a senior officer said.

The raids came as police revealed that six alleged terrorists detained elsewhere on Sumatra island on Sunday included suspects who took part in the 2004 truck bombing of the Australian embassy in Jakarta.

Aceh police chief detective Esa Permadi said the man killed at a house in Aceh Besar district was Enaltao, 38, who had taken part in the "mutilation" of three students in Poso, Sulawesi, in 2005.

He did not elaborate but it is understood he was referring to the beheading of three Christian girls who were assaulted that year as they walked to school outside Poso, an area of strife between Christians and Muslims.

One of the girls' heads was dumped outside a local church.

"Police arrested four terror suspects and shot dead a suspect in two anti-terror raids today," Permadi told AFP.

"The men arrested are suspected of participating in military training activities in Aceh."

Enaltao was also suspected of assisting Indonesians in military training in the southern Philippines, he said.

One suspect was also arrested in that operation and three others were detained after another raid on a shophouse in Banda Aceh, the provincial capital.

Scores of terror suspects have been arrested since police clashed with a group linked to regional extremist network Jemaah Islamiyah that was conducting military-style training at a secret camp in rural Aceh in February.

National police spokesman Edward Aritong said the six men arrested at a road block on Sunday included suspects identified as Ibrahim and Lutfi, who had been arrested earlier for their roles in the bombing of the Australian embassy.

Aritong described Ibrahim as a "motivator" for trainee terrorists while Lutfi was a "fundraiser". Both men were believed to be accomplices of terror leader Noordin Mohammed Top, who was killed by police in September.

They had reportedly served time in prison and been released.

Another suspect, Bayu Sena, was involved in the making of bombs intended for an attack on Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono last year, Aritong said.

The assassination plan was discovered during investigations into twin suicide attacks on luxury hotels in Jakarta in July, which killed seven people.

A fourth detainee, Pandu Wicaksono, was wanted for harbouring Noordin, whose network, dubbed Al-Qaeda in the Malay Archipelago, carried out the embassy attack and the Jakarta hotel bombings, according to police.

No comments:

Post a Comment